Sunday, November 8, 2009

Saying good-bye to Malaysia

It is my last night here… having experienced another day of sightseeing KL (Kuala Lumpur). Friday afternoon was amazing - with a university announcement presentation - The event started with all members of the audience singing the national anthem and the university song. I was amazed that for a Friday afternoon, there was a good representation of faculty and staff (not like my experiences in the US). The presentation went well – with few questions and much head nodding. They are very concerned about being judged to be one of the major international universities.
So, I say good bye to this lovely country and people. I have invitation to return and to invite other faculty to also come and share their expertise. I hope that I can provide opportunities for others to learn of this amazing and diverse culture.
What is evident… is that they want to be the best and see themselves working very hard to be valued and recognized at the international level. They value expertise from many places and value friendships with that expertise. It is truly amazing and humbling.

No comments:

Post a Comment